It’s been a long day. You’ve cleaned, organized, done laundry, made breakfast and lunch, cleaned up from those meals, done all the dishes and things are looking great. All of the sudden, you look at the clock and realize that it’s almost dinner time. As you head to the kitchen (while stopping an argument, having someone pick up the socks left on the floor and picking up a few things), you suddenly stop in horror. You forgot to defrost the chicken! How on earth are you going to make dinner tonight?
With that handy Instant Pot, you don’t have to worry. In 15 minutes, you can have fully cooked, shredded chicken from frozen chicken. Until I got the Instant Pot, this is the #1 thing I struggled with when it came to making dinner for my family. Now, I no longer have to worry about it and it makes getting dinner so much easier.
Also, since I always have chicken on hand in the freezer, I can make a bunch of different easy dinners with this easy way making chicken. I could easily make chicken salsa nachos, shredded chicken tacos or quesadillas, Caesar chicken wraps, buffalo chicken dip…the possibilities are endless! I usually have to ingredients to make any of those meals at a given time, making me not have to wonder what’s for dinner! I can make an easy dinner within an hour or two.
Having shredded chicken on hand is a lifesaver, but if you forget, like I do, to make some up, this is a fabulous way to have some on hand in little time!
- 1 lb. frozen chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- Add chicken and water to the Instant Pot.
- Seal lid and make sure the vent is set to "sealing".
- Select poultry.
- Let cook until done.
- Either let the pressure come down naturally or use the quick release vent.
- Pull out chicken and shred.
- Use as needed!
- My Instant Pot needs at least one cup of liquid to cook anything, hence the water. If you wanted to up the flavor, you could also use chicken broth. There is also a rack that you can get for the Instant Pot that will hold up the chicken over the liquid. I've not been able to get any accessories for the Instant Pot, and I feel it is unnecessary.